[mc4wp_form id="5389"]

‘Master’ Association Documents Usually Controlling Authority

Posted on

Share this article

Q: I own a unit in a condominium association that is part of a larger community made up of a number of other condominium associations and homeowners’ associations, all of which are governed by a master association. This raises questions about which documents control. For example, the master association’s documents state that leases must be at least 30 days or 1 calendar month in length, while our condominium documents require 3-month minimum rentals. As such, some confusion has arisen as to which documents control? (G.M., via e-mail)

A: Your community’s set-up, where there are multiple “layers” of associations governing the various parcels, is not unusual. Typically, there are recorded “master association” documents that govern the entire community. Then, each individual “sub-association,” whether it is a homeowners’ association governed by Chapter 720 of the Florida Statutes, or a condominium association governed by Chapter 718 of the Florida Statutes, has its own set of recorded governing documents.

Share this article